We switched Taelee over to Whole Milk on her 1st Birthday. She did great and took it really well, but now we are wondering if she may have an allergy to cow's milk. A few weeks ago she started getting this really strange rash on her back. It started in three little spots that looked like dry patches. I put Vaseline on them every night and watched them for a while. After a few days her back started to get splotchier and more dry patches would show up. Now they cover her back and I have noticed some under her armpits, chest, chin, and legs. She hasn't had any other symptoms, and hasn't been itching at her skin or fussing to make me think that it is bothering her. I have been trying to think what it could be and the two things I have come up with are a milk allergy, or eczema. I have been reading up on milk allergies and the most common side effect is diarrhea and/or congestion, she has neither. But the rash started right after we gave her cow's milk. She hasn't had a problem with formula, yogurt, or cheese so I am baffled. She has never had a problem with her skin either; it has always been very soft and well moisturized. So it makes me doubt that it could be eczema. But who knows with this awful air floating around. I called her doctor the other day to see what they recommend I do, and they said to try Eucerin Cream because they thought it could be eczema. They said if it doesn't get better or gets worse to bring her in. To be honest I don't like the doctor we are having to take her to. Every time I have taken her there it hasn't been a very pleasant experience, and I was hoping I would never have to take her there again, but with the looks of this rash I may have to. We're are not sure what else it could be and haven't introduced any other new things into her diet or environment, so we are pretty much stumped. If anyone has ever seen anything like this or knows what it is please let me know! If it's not better by Monday it's off to the doctor!
These pictures don't do it much justice, it looks worse in person.

8 comments:
That really does look like eczema. Maddox has it pretty bad. Does it feel dry when you touch it but bumpy? Can you feel tiny bumps on other parts of her skin but there is no rash? When you get the Eucerin make sure it is the kind that looks like Vaseline- not the lotion kind if that makes sense. I think where it is makes me think even more it is eczema. What kind of laundry soap do you use? Why don't I just call you? We had to change a bunch of stuff for Maddox- his skin still looks like that in the winter time but we have done some stuff to help-
Also, I could be wrong, it has happened before ;)
Brody had the EXACT same thing a while back. it was mostly on his stomach though and moved down more onto his legs. We still don't know what caused it...he woke up from a nap with it, and it was gone in a week. Didn't bother him at all either. The doctor told me if it didn't itch or cause other problems it could be associated with a virus that he may have had and not to worry about it. good luck with it though... maybe switch her to soy milk just to see if there's any difference. but if she's not allergic to other things with milk in them, I doubt it's that. I hate mystery baby things... makes me crazy!
Oh poor baby. Good luck!
Matty has a milk allergy, but his shows itself as hives around his mouth and occassionally around the back of his neck or face. But everyone's different. Matty once had a rash that started on his stomach and spread all over his torso and arms. It was a virus that went away in a few days. You could try taking her OFF milk for a week or so (switch to soy or something) and then incorporate it slowly back in again after the rash clears up. If it came back, you'd know it was the milk and could take her to an allergist. I think you're smart just to take her in on Monday, though maybe find a new doctor if you're not happy with hers. I love my pediatrician's office if you need a recommendation. They're by the AF hospital.
Okay, try Aquafor, it is made by Eucerin... that is what I was trying to explain but couldn't think of the words. I will call you tomorrow.
It totally looks like Eczema! My mom has it and we see it a lot at the office i work at. But... i am not a doctor (yet) haha! So i dont know for sure, let me know what it is when you find out! Its interesting to me! Hope she feels better!
Diesel has this exact same thing right now. His chin is the worst but is whole face has broken out in little bumps too. I've also been wondering whether to take him into the doctor as well. Let me know what you find out and what works.
That's too bad, hope it's not a milk allergy, that will be rough. Good luck!
Post a Comment