Last Monday November 22 we took Taelee to Plano Children's Imaging Center to have an ultrasound and VCUG (voiding cysto-urethrogram). This is a test where they insert a catheter and inject fluid, take xrays, and check if any fluid is going back up into the kidneys instead of draining as they should. Taelee has had 3 UTIs in the last three months, so her doctor wanted this test done to check if she had a voiding reflux. I was just reading and 50% of children between the ages of 2-5 end up having reflux...thankfully Taelee is not one of those. I'm not sure at times if that is a good thing, because then we don't know what is causing her UTIs especially if she gets another one! We are grateful though because she won't have to be on a constant antibiotic or have any type of surgery in the future.
She did so well throughout the whole thing! They first did an ultrasound to check the size and shape of her kidneys and bladder. She thought for sure they were checking for Baby Goofy!
Next she went in to have the VCUG done. She was excited because she got to wear a night gown and have a princess mask. We opted to have her sedated (I think it would have been far too traumatic if she were awake). She did so well! They told her to breath ten times, but ten breaths later she was still awake, ten more times and she was in a deep sleep. They did the procedure, and everything went well. I didn't like seeing her have to go through that, it's hard stepping back and letting someone take over your child like that. I felt so helpless...I am so happy that everything went ok.
After the VCUG was done they took her to a little recovery room. She slept for another ten minutes and then they propped her bed up and she woke right up. She was so happy when she was awake. She kept saying I just took a little nap that's all! We are so lucky and blessed to have this little girl in our lives! I am so happy that she is ok, and hopefully we won't have to worry about this in the future!
4 comments:
Anytime someone takes your baby it is traumatic. I am so glad everything is ok and I hope it stays that way!
Hey! Did they let you keep the gown? We have the same one from Brody's stint at Cooks Childrens. Its the most expensive dress up clothes we own! So glad that Taelee (and you) made it through ok!
Danni has it. It was so funny and sad all at the same time. I am glad we have the medical things we have now.
Poor Taelee! What a brave little girl.
Post a Comment