Monday, February 4, 2013

Camping at Rae Roberts Lake

Stephen has been wanting to go camping for months, but for some reason or another we have had to reschedule every time.  We were finally able to go last weekend. I hesitated because I knew it was going to be cold, but Stephen was determined to follow through on this camping trip. I was still skeptical and to be honest a little grumpy, up until we got to the campsite and saw how beautiful it was! It was perfect! We were just steps away from the beautiful beach. After we got everything set up we went exploring. The kids were ecstatic! They are in heaven anytime they are outside, here it was tenfold. They got to collect seashells, discover many animal footprints, play at the park, and even see a few deer! I was constantly behind the cameral taking a million pictures! Taelee kept saying, "Mom, you are going to fill your camera all up! You should stop taking so many pictures!" It's true...I went a little nuts, but there was something beautiful everywhere I looked! What a memorable family adventure, so much fun I barely remember the cold!
Kingston carried a stick in his hand the whole time. He loved playing in the dirt!
 a little tender mercy found on the beach.
(a little ladybug crossing our path in January)
 Checking out the hundreds of small seashells along the shore.
The seashell collection
We found an old-school wood park next to the beach with big metal slides. We bought a pass for Rae Roberts for the whole year so we can go camping anytime and go to the beach in the summer. I highly recommend it! Well worth the money!
 The one "decent" picture of me with the kids..
 Watching the sun set on the lake. This lake really feels like an ocean beach, all you have to do is envision crashing waves and you are there!!
 A beautiful surprise I found when I downloaded the pictures. 
How can anyone say there isn't a God when we have proof all around us?!
One of my favorite things about camping is the fire! I love feeling the warmth of the flames on my legs, and the crackle and pop of the wood. Of course you can't beat yummy hobo dinners and s'mores! It was a pretty cold night so we stayed by the fire as long as possible reading books and singing songs! 
 Kingston did pretty well falling asleep in the tent. It took him a bit to get comfortable and he wanted to be on the bare tent floor without any blankets. After a while of tossing and turning I finally convinced him to come and cuddle with me. Everyone but me slept fine. What is up with people snoring in tents?! I swear it's brings out the worst! Stephen doesn't snore a lot, but that night he and Taelee were singing zzzzzz's! Next time i'll have to pop some Tylenol PM!

Kingston woke up a little cold and cranky
but once we got him cuddled up by the fire with some food he was happy!
 It was a beautiful morning!
Nothing would be the same without the company of good friends!
The most exciting part was finding all the animal tracks in the sand! They were everywhere!  I still don't know what half of them were, but it was fun guessing. We guessed beaver, otter, cougar, bobcat, coyote, hawk, bunny, and deer. Taelee wanted to be like Jack from the Magic Tree House books and take notes in her notebook. She drew the print and wrote her hypothesis. I love our little explorers!
While driving we saw a few deer.
 On our way out this guy wished us a safe trip home.

5 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I love camping. How would it be to camp in January when there is NO snow?

Lisa said...

What an AWESOME camping trip!! So happy y'all got to go and have fun! It looks beautiful there! We keep telling the kids we will go but it's hard when Brandon goes camping all the time with the Scouts to take his one weekend off to go with the family. Lol! Someday! Love this post! And I secretly love that I am not the only picture fanatic! Keep snapping away, I love seeing them all. :)

Kylie C. said...

How fun!!!! A little scary with the tracks but fun for the kids to see.

Amy said...

i've never been a camper...especially in Tx...but this really makes me want to! Did I tell you James killed, cooked, and ate a snake one time while camping?! before I knew him of course. :) that's mainly what has deterred me in the past, but I'm ready to try again.

Whitney said...

Oh c'mon try a seared snake over the camp fire, it sounds like a delicacy! It was a lot of fun, and I can assure you there wasn't a single snake seen or eaten!