I was probably looking forward to seeing Carthage Jail the most. It was such a beautiful place and you could feel the spirit there as we walked around the sacred grounds surrounding the jail. As we waited for the tour of the jail they showed a video of Joseph Smith's life. The kids were so reverent which I was so grateful for. We were able to go into all the rooms including where Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, John Taylor, and Willard Richards stayed. As we sat in the room and listened to the recording of the events leading up to the mob I could almost see the events as they transpired. As they played A poor Wayfaring Man of Grief I felt as though I were there. My testimony of Joseph Smith was strengthened and I know that he was a prophet of God who restored the true gospel of Jesus Christ to the Earth.
Kingston carried these branches with him the whole time. As we were waiting for the video he put them on his head and said, "yook i'm a moose!"
It felt a little strange smiling for these pictures because something terrible happened there, but we did because there was such a peace and serenity as we stood in the very spot where Joseph Smith was martyred. What a privilege it was to be there!
1 comment:
Sounds like a special experience. :)
Post a Comment